- 2 1/4 pounds of fresh spinach, chopped, washed, drained
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/3 cups of olive oil
- 1 1/3 cup of water
- 1 1/3 cups of long-grain rice or white rice
- 5 1/4 cups of water
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Optional: Parmesan cheese, feta, or other cheese
- Optional: diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Optional: 1-2 finely chopped chili pepper
In a stock pot, sauté the chopped spring onion in the oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Add spinach and 1 1/3 cups of water and cook until the spinach wilts, about 5-7 minutes.
Add rice and 5 1/4 cups of water, bring to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice and salt, cook for another 5 minutes and remove from heat.
(Optional: Grate in Parmesan or other cheese.)
Stir, cover, and let sit until the dish "melds."